11 months ago
We love our bumGenius Freetime All-In-One One-Size Cloth Diaper. The only complaint I have is with the hook and loop closure. We started using our diapers when G was a couple of months old and I found that they did hold their “sticky” if ya know what I mean. G had started taking off the diapers and it just was not worth the trouble. We stopped using the handful of hook and loop by the time he was one year old. On my summer to do list I wanted to refresh those diapers so we could get them back into our stash again. I bought refresher kits from Cotton Babies for $1 apiece and they sat around for a while. I finally got motivated to seam rip the old Velcro tabs off and put on the new ones. It was not difficult, but I just knew I would have to do it again in a year. The refresher kit includes the new Velcro tabs and elastic for the back and legs, but not for the front strip. I did go ahead and refresh one diaper, but decided not to do it for the rest. A cloth diaper friend recently converted all her diapers from hook and loop herself and I decided I could too. The materials cost me about $25 at JoAnns, here is the breakdown: Babyville Snap Pliers: $20 (on sale for $14) and Babyville Snaps: $7.99 (on sale for $5.60 x 2PKGs= $11.20). I also needed a seam ripper and a sewing machine which I already had. I found quite a few tutorials online explaining how to convert bumgenius diapers, but none specificially for the Freetime. The Freetime is a little bit more work because there is no access to the seams, or pocket if you will. Here is what I found to work for me.
1. Remove all Velcro from the diaper carefully with your seam ripper.
2. Seam rip a small section at the top of the diaper near the Velcro strip to gain access to the inside.
3. Create a template for where you would like your snaps to be. I used a diaper I had with snaps and made a DIY template. It took a little tweaking to get it where I wanted, but once I determined where I wanted the snaps it was easy peasy lemon squeezy. I made mine out of thick cardstock and poked a pen through the paper where I wanted my snaps, which made marking the holes easier.
4. Mark all holes for snaps. I used a sharpie, but I did have difficulty on the bumgenius Albert (black) diaper.
5. Use the skewer to poke holes where you want each snap.
6. Apply snaps using the plier tool.
7. While you have the diaper “open” you could also repair any elastic that is stretched out. I did replace the elastic on the two Albert diapers I have, but the rest were just fine. If you have sewing experience this part is not difficult but a little time consuming. When changing out the old elastic I sewed the new elastic to the old and pulled it through the casing to make it easier on myself.
8. Stitch the diaper back up. Be sure to backstitch.
9. Toss the diapers in the dryer for a short amount to time to seal the holes left by the old stitching.
10. Enjoy the diapers you have been missing from your stash!
All in all I thought the project was relatively easy. It was more time consuming that anything. The first one took me a long time, but it got easier the more I did. I did a couple a night for a few nights and I am happy to report they are all done. I am thankful I only had 7 to convert. I could justify the cost to convert the ones I had considering a new diaper would cost me about $24 and I am planning to use these diapers until G is potty trained and hopefully we have another tiny human who will enjoy them just as much as we do :-) Now that I have the pliers I plan to make a few more wetbags and add snaps to the handles and I plan on buying some “loved” diapers at the Cotton Babies garage sale to spruce up so we have a few extra diapers to add to our stash.
Happy Cloth Diapering!
A few of the finished diapers.